Friday, September 26, 2008

What goes up, must come down........

Breech! I learned two days ago that my baby is breech. The head is up top and she is sitting in a V shape with her bottom where the head should go. The feet are up by the head which sounds uncomfortable I know, but explains the tickling sensation I have felt in my ribs (little toes, I am sure). It also explains why I can only lay on my left side comfortably and not my right and why I am not running to the bathroom every 15 minutes since there isn't much pressure on my bladder. Crazy, huh?? Thus, she looks something like this:

I have never had a breech baby before. I found out at my doctor's appointment on Wednesday -- I was concerned the baby was transverse because they continue to hear the heartbeat on the right side. My midwife tried to feel my stomach to get a sense of where the baby was, but things were inconclusive so they did an ultrasound right there in the office. And sure enough, the baby was upside down (or is that right side up?)

I also learned that the baby is definitely a girl which was comforting since my SIL just found out her first ultrasound was wrong and after having her baby shower and buying everything, they discovered it is a boy not a girl as they were first told. (Her first baby too!!! How sad is that!) So for me, this 2nd ultrasound confirmed the first diagnosis of gender so there is no hope left for Ethan my only son.

(Yesterday he said to me, "You don't want to have another one do you?" I told him, "Sweetheart, if we did, you'd probably have another sister!")

Now the prognosis is to see if the baby turns by next week (I'm 36 weeks now.) If not, the OB will try to do an aversion to turn the baby and see what happens with that. (Yes, that does sound very painful) They are about 65% successful so I guess it depends on how stubborn the baby is. Because if it doesn't work, it will a cesarian for me.

My first midwife for a pregnancy and a possible c-section. Isn't it funny how life works???

2 comments:

Sketchy said...

Turn baby Turn!

Come on little sweetheart!

Have you tried dropping candy on the floor? Kids always go for that.

Poor Ethan. Someday we'll be closer and you can come over and play warrior anytime you want.

~Anne~ said...

I saw your post through google alerts and I want to say that versions work!!!

Good luck and I'll be sending you "baby head down" thoughts