Saturday, December 15, 2007

10 More Days..... Start the Countdown

It is 10 more days until Christmas! Can you believe it???? I am so not ready. I wish I were one of those prepared, planned-out shoppers who had everything down by December 10th, but I am just the opposite. Usually I am finishing up things up until Christmas Eve and and there are some things I plan that never get accomplished. Like every year I plan to make my kids PJs for Christmas Eve so they will have new ones to wear on that special night, just like my SIL. But somehow the flannel still sits on my shelf waiting to be sewn. I always plan on doing the "12 days of Christmas" for someone special and I have again missed my opportunity for the 5th year in a row. And I always plan on reading a special Christmas story to my children every night leading up to the big day. And I have not even read one. You see, I am not a Super-Mom, I am not even her sidekick. I am only an Average Mom trying to stay sane during this hectic Christmas time.



So to honor all you other Average Moms out there, I've decided to catalog some of the things I have accomplished this holiday season, to distract me from my thoughts of mayhem and discouragement.


1) I have decorated the house, including putting up the inherited Christmas village from my mother who passed away two years ago (see previous SIL post on same subject)




2) I have hung the Christmas lights outside, including convincing my hubby to get on the roof so that we can have lights on the side of our house for the first year ever.


3) I have ordered the photo Christmas Cards to be sent soon to all our family and loved ones (they are not sent yet, but they have been ordered.) AND the stamps are bought.

4) I have taken my children to see Santa although the first two got on his lap and off again so quick that I couldn't get a picture.


5) I have placed the Hallmark Nativity story in a prominent place (above the sink) to remind me each day of the true meaning of Christmas (each day it tells a different part of the Nativity Story just to keep your mind in the right place).

6) I have attended and videotape all 4 of my children's holiday concerts, including the elementary school's ambitious attempt at the Nutcracker that required my 8 year old to be at all four performances since she was a "dancing flower" and I guess those are in high demand.


7) We have drawn names in our immediate family so each child has someone to buy for and do nice things leading up to Christmas day. Grace has me and draws me pictures everyday just to say I love you. (You can't buy that magic.)

8) On the flip side, I have tolerated a moody 4-year-old who one minute, is so cute and excited and happy about Christmas, and the next minute is throwing a fit because she wants to look exactly like Mary for the ward party "Christmas in Bethlehem" (and the outfit I made doesn't fit the mold). Why again do we do this to our kids?

9) I have taken my oldest daughters to see the Nutcracker Ballet at the Capitol Theatre, including having a much need girls night out complete with dinner at the Chinese restaurant.

10) I have eaten more Christmas candy than I should have up to this point (is this a good thing?) and watch the Santa Clause movie twice..........just because.


All and all, it is turning into a truly wonderful holiday season.

5 comments:

ranell said...

Your Christmas Village looks great!

You have accomplished a lot! Don't expect a Christmas card from us this year.(yet again) :(

I am so glad to read your posts. Keep them coming

Gabriela said...

You are a super mom-look at all you've gotten done! Your kids feel loved and your house looks beautiful-lights outside? That's worth lots of points.

:) Merry Christmas!

Sketchy said...

You forgot to add I got my sister's card AND present all the way to Pittsburgh in time for Christmas.

Way huge accomplishment considering our lack of post office goodness.

Merry Christmas!

(PS: I just buy the Christmas PJ's.)

Sketchy said...

I need to see some Christmas pictures, just saying...

Sketchy said...

I need some sort of update, just saying...

Happy Birthday Aubrey!! I'm sorry I'm a stinky Aunt who hasn't seen you yet. :(
~Shelly