Thursday, June 8, 2006

The first swim of the summer



Oh what do you do in the summertime when all the world is green? Do you swim in a pool to keep yourself cool, or swing in a tree up high? Is that what you do? So do I.

Ah, the first outdoor swim of the summer! This is a big event for us since we just moved last August from the cold and gray coast to the warm and sunny desert. For 3 years, we hardly ever swam outside. Now everyone is anxious to do it again.

Even though the weather was only 75 degrees and the skies were somewhat gray, the kids convinced us to accept their uncle's invitation to swim in his pool. Their dad was supportive enough to jump in with them.



They were not as lucky with their mother! But they had fun just the same, and I was on the sidelines taking pictures to document the happy event.




Just look at these smiling faces! We were even able to find the all-crucial goggles from last summer!



There was one in the party who was not thrilled. This is my 3-year old, standing by the side of the pool, not wanting to get in the water (as opposed to Gabriela's 3 year old who does flip dives into the pool!)

In the end, she decided it was OK to put on her new Care Bears swimsuit, as long as no one got it wet! I think I just spent $12 on a bathing suit that will only be used as a fashion statement.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well she does make a cute fashion statement anyway...Maybe we just haven't been outdoor swimming starved long enough. I was thinking it must be a lot warmer there, but we've been in the low 80s and it doesn't feel like swimming weather to me yet!

Nettie said...

Sounds to me like the little doll is just a smart one. I wouldn't be hoping in at 75 degrees either! Brrrr!

Super Happy Girl said...

Care Bear “swimsuit fashion statements” are all the rage this summer; she’s a smart little fashionista.

Why is it that kids will swim in cold weather and think nothing of it? Once, in California, they wanted to swim so badly, lips turned blue…protested when I said it was insanity and get out. Kids

Millie said...

Fashion statement... funny.

We have the 80° rule here: no swimming unless it hits that temp. We have this odd weather pattern where it gets windy on clear, hot days. Whaa??

Lana said...

we love to swim, I hope you have many warm and sunny days this summer!

Gabriela said...

Awwwww, she is so cute!! Juan Carlos swims because there is nothing else to do in Small Town. Looks like you had a good time. I avoid cold pools with all my might, but I am a willing participant when the water is warm.

Erickson Family said...

Shelly: My kids are starved for outdoor activities involoving water. Luckily the pool water was warm!

Nettie: I think you are right -- she was definitely the smart one!

NCS: My kids are cold blooded too. I've been fighting them about swimming ever since April with the sun came out and it was 60. Craziness...........