Friday, May 19, 2006

Just a moment to complain....

OK, I want to be as patient with life as I can. But can I honestly be expected to hold it together in the face of shear irony?

I got up this morning knowing that I needed to do the dreaded tasks of cleaning the bathroom. Even though I abhor this task, I attacked it with zeal. I cleaned every inch: the sink, the mirror, the counter, the tub and especially the toilet. I even washed the floor! It smelled fresh and clean as Orange Pine-Sol. I was basking in the thought that this task was finished, and the bathroom was ready for a new week.

That is until my three-year-old got to it.

Mommy!

What? I say half-heartedly engaged in another project.

Mommy!

This time I don't answer until I hear the dreaded phrase.............

Mommy, I'm poopy!

Into the bathroom I run, only to find that not only is my child "poopy" having messed in her pants even though she is fully capable of using the toilet--BUT she has attempted to clean herself up as well. Her dirty underwear is on the clean floor, feces is smeared all over the clean toilet and once-white-now-stained T.P. is strung around the room. Instead of a wonderful clean and fresh scent, all I can smell is one thing and it doesn't smell pretty!

I did the only thing I could do. I filled the tub with bubbles, put her in the bath, cleaned up the mess, let my hubby deal with her, and left the house. After all, I could not be expected to be patient and calm after my beautiful creation was destroyed! (I did have a meeting to attend, for the record.)

Now I want to be a mom who can face everything with a smile, but isn't this just a little too much to be expected to bear?

5 comments:

Gabriela said...

I feel your pain! It takes so much energy (mental and physical) to do certain tasks, and then to have a setback so quickly thereafter!

With my two little boys (5 & 3) our bathrooms always smell like pee. Not the best aimers. Yuck!!!

Karla said...

Just found your blog. I can commisserate with you. My bathroom never stays clean for more than,oh, five minutes. And that little lever that you push that makes the potty go "whoosh!" - my kids can't seem to find it. Kinda embarrassing when we have visitors:).

Brooke said...

We need bathrooms where we can shut the door, push a button, and it cleans itself like a dishwasher.

I'm glad you got to leave after that. And the fact that you came back is admirable.

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah been there... Like Gabriela, my boys aren't the best aimers. Constantly washing that floor around the toilet!

Sorry about your nice clean bathroom!

Anonymous said...

I know the frustration. I got tired of doing it myself and them making the mess so I have included the bathrooms as part of our weekly chores (Tuesdays bathroom Day) only we split up the tasks. Each person is in charge of doing one of the things in all the bathrooms (ie. Porter 6 does all toilets, Kyah 5 does all mirrors, Naomi 3 does all sinks and counters, Mom cleans tubs and supervises.) Then we all go into the bathroom together so they are monitored and I can teach them the correct way to do it at the same time. Then we rotate jobs each week. It works pretty well and they can help clean up their own mess.