Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Fall is in the Air

Nettie at Singing a Verse of My Song posted a beautiful blog about fall which has wonderful pictures of her home and decorations. (She is so talented!) Although I don't have any pictures to share due to my love/hate relationship with digital cameras, I did have some thoughts about why Fall is my favorite season:

Leaves Falling

I love to watch the leaves change color and fall off of the trees. Red, brown, burnt orange -- I love all of those fall colors. And I love to watch my kids as they jump into the leaves after my hubby has just raked them! (Of course, his face is not so joyful......)

Holidays

Thus begins the holiday season! And I am a sucker for any and all holidays. I like planning costumes with my kids for Halloween (this year we hit the Goodwill -- what a bargain!) and I get just as giddy as they do as the day gets closer. But my favorite holiday has got to be Thanksgiving. Even though Christmas is a close second, I love how Thanksgiving is a day of gratitude and has not become a commercialized, gift-giving frenzy. It is just a day to be with family, have good food and reflect on our blessings. I love that.

WSU Football

Let me first clarify that I am not a sports fanatic. The only sports I ever watch is WSU football (that's Washington State University). My hubby went there for his degrees, but we didn't even watch then. It all started once we moved away and somehow that made us feel more connected to our college days. Now we are addicted. Whether they are doing well, poorly or somewhere in between, we love it. I am always estatic for fall because that is when it all begins. (By the way, they did awesome on Saturday, almost beating USC, the #2 team in the nation! GO COUGS)

Conference Weekend

For those of you not LDS, this is a weekend that the prophet and apostles speak to the members of the church and it is wonderful. I love hearing all of them speak. This year was especially meaningful because we had cable, including the BYU channel, so we got to watch it all on TV instead of merely listening to the Internet broadcast. It was awesome and I enjoyed it all. But I have to agree with
Mormon Millie -- Elder Bednar and Holland's talks were classic. Of course, they always are.

So what about you? What fall festivites do you look forward to and enjoy? Join in with the fall celebration party at
Nettie's house.


5 comments:

Nettie said...

I love everything you mentioned! Well, except being a football fan. But, my son runs cross country every fall and I love driving to the different remote locations and enjoying the beautiful leaves and scenery on the way, and when we get there.

Anonymous said...

We got to watch a WSU game this weekend!! Of course it was almost over when we realized it was on, but just watching it was cool.

Sometime during the fall you will have to come here, before the leaves drop off. I liked fall in Washington, but it is nothing like fall here...almost every tree is deciduous. Of course once the leaves are gone that means it is ugly because there are relatively few evergreens, but during that magical month or so its incredible.

Millie said...

I love the new school year starting - going back to a routine, the kids having something fun to do every day, and buying school supplies. I love fresh starts and the smell of new crayons. :)

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, too, for the reasons you stated. I also love being in Utah that weekend and getting to watch the Christmas lights being turned on at Temple Square.

Lei said...

I love the smells of Fall - pumpkin, cinnamon, spices. I also love the change that takes over every bit of life - our homes become warmer, our meals become more comforting, our time becomes richer as we prepare for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's just a wonderful time of year!

Super Happy Girl said...

To me Fall is the best season EVER.
The decorations, the thought of pumpiking pie, hot chocolate, the comfy sweaters, the leaves changing colors, conference, the bare trees, everything is just fun and cozy.

I should post my fall pics, Nettie did a good job with hers.