Friday, July 7, 2006

To Go Or Not to Go (With a Salad)

I have a dilemna..................

In August is my 20th high school reunion. It is scarey to admit it, but yes, I am that old. I don't know where the time has gone and I am not sure I want to contemplate it because it has gone by fast. It just seems like yesterday I was wearing that black gown with the orange sash and getting my diploma (well, my diploma cover -- the real goods came later.) Where has the time gone?

My dilemna is whether or not to attend. I haven't gone to any others. I didn't go to the 5 or the 10 or even the 15 (if they even had it.) In fact, I was consider "missing" by the reunion committee for quite a long time. Now that they have found me, I've discover that it is someone I know heading up the committee. Well, we were friends back in 7th grade, which right now seems like a long time ago.

I have several reasons for not going. I was pretty shy in high school (still am) and didn't know that many people. There aren't that many people that I could carry on a conversation with. I did do "drill team" but that was after a horrific try-out as cheerleader so I went to the next thing. I was far from "popular" and I'm not sure if I will be able to connect with many people there. Or if they will even remember me..... I'm afraid it will be like "and you were who???"

It also costs quite a bit of money. For my husband and I to go, it would cost $100 for the whole weekend. There is a Friday Mixer, Saturday Family Picnic and a Saturday Dinner/Dance. We could split it up and just go to one event, but it doesn't cut down the cost a lot. The picnic would cost $46 for our family to go and the Saturday Dinner/Dance would be $60. I guess it isn't that much when you consider the cost of a date night with a babysitter, etc. etc. But my birthday is the day after and I'm worried if we spend a lot of money, that will become my present!

The reason for going is I'm afraid this is the last opportunity of my life basically. I mean after 20, there are no more reunions right? It is rare that anyone attends a 30 or 40 year reunion. This is basically it.

So what would you do? Are you in that situation? Is it coming up soon? Or has it already past? Would you go if it was next month?

On the flip side......

This recipe is an oldy but a goody. It is very summery and if you have the chicken already cooked, requires no time at all. We made it last weekend and everyone except my 3 year old liked it. (She won't eat anything besides hot dogs anyway).

Chinese Chicken Salad

2 lb. shredded cabbage
5 chopped green onion
Chicken chunks

Mix all together. Prepare topping as follows:

2 pkg. Top Raman noodles, broken
1/2 c. almond slices
1/4 c. butter
2 T. sugar

Saute and continually stir together until lightly brown. Mix into salad and mix together dressing (seperately first, then add to salad):

1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. oil
2 T. soy sauce
1/4 c. sugar

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

My American HS reunion is next year (20th), I'm not going. Just like you, I was very shy, and even if people do remember the "exchange student" is like, not reallly exciting for me, at all. I was invited to the 15th and didn't go either.
I'm still in contact with 2 friends, it'd be fun to go and see how everybody has changed, but really, we can do much more fun things with the time and money it'll take to go to the reunion.
Hey, but that's just me. Perhaps if more people that I cared about were going, I might be interested. But nay.

Top ramen noodles, yum!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could get in contact with some of your old friends, like Mike Smith? That would be fun if you could maybe get a group to go together with 3 or 4 couples. But I'm sure that more people will remember you than you think will. Up until we moved last year I would still get called Stephanie every so often, lol.

...I've always thought we should have a KeHS Seminary reunion, now that would be fun...plus no mixer at the bar, lol.

How funny I was going to post a similar recipe today...maybe I should just say go to Apple Valley...

Millie said...

I went to the 10th and it was quite interesting. Bri and I danced and had a great time. But it was expensive, and I felt like I hardly knew anyone - it would have been better with Shelly there. :)

I agree with the Seminary reunion idea. We should put Dale & Tracy in charge of it.

P.S. I love this recipe. Mmmmm. And my little boys won't eat anything either.

Gabriela said...

I don't know what to tell you about your reunion. I skipped my 10th several years back and don't know if I'll go to any future ones. I am afraid of what you said, "and you are?".

On the bright side, think of the blogging opportunities!

BTW, my mom is going to her 40th reunion this week! She loves it. Of course, I think that's partly because she weighs like 120 and everyone else weighs like 275. :)

Thanks for this recipe! I had lost a similar one.

Good luck with your decision.

Nichole said...

I would definately go.

I, too, was shy most of my time in school, but my senior year I formed some wonderful friendships that have quickly faded.

In my own experience, I encountered lots of nay-sayers, "You'll never do this this or this" kind of people...and it would be a real boost for me to go back to the reunions and show off all that I've accomplished (which isn't too much, but it is to me!)

I agree with Gabriela...loads of blogging oppurtunities!

Nettie said...

I'm hoping to go to mine. Mostly for the curiosity factor. I went to my 5 year and it was very lame. Felt like high school still, we even ate in the cafeteria and had an assembly in the auditorium after.

We went to my husband's 20th and it was great. By then most people seemed to have gotten past their high school cliquiness and had either done really interesting or really bizarre things. He had a tiny graduating class, though, and they all knew each other well.

Super Happy Girl said...

So? are you going or not?
Perhaps, if you do, you could blog about it :)

Blackeyedsue said...

I have always wanted that recipe.

Itybty frog and I didn't attend our 5 or 10-yr HSR but we have both said we will attend our 20th. By then (we hope) most people are done playing Master-of-the-Universe--We came from a high school with a high population of snootiness. It wasn't a fun high school if you were on the lower income side of the scale.

If you do decide to go, please let us know and we will all be praying that the people that didn't know you don't show up anyways.

Erickson Family said...

Thank you for all of your words of advice. I'm still a jumble of indecision! I will probably go to something because a friend of mine is going, but I'm not sure what.

I will keep you all posted!